RSS

Welcome to my Blog
Hope you enjoy reading.

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Review: Strong Enough by Ellen Harger

Strong Enough 
by Ellen Harger
Released Date: Published February 25th 2013 by Ellen Harger
Series:---
Pages: Kindle Edition329 pages
View/Purchase: Goodreads, Amazon
Author: Blog, Twitter, Goodreads

Starting over is hard. 

And sometimes, you have to burn a few bridges to do it.

Whitney Brown is average--average intelligence, average height, average weight--but she wants to be someone new. To kick-start her rebirth, she wears formal mourning, a black veil and vintage dress, to a wedding in her hometown, Woods Cross, a community that treasures family values. Is it an attack on marriage or has she just gone bonkers?

Emboldened but lacking a plan, she forces her foot in the door of a radio station in Sundown. A small metropolis of nearly 150,000, Sundown is a notch of urban flair along the Midwest's Bible Belt.

Getting in proves to be the easy part and the anonymity of being a DJ suits her well. But off air (and in person), Whitney must stand up to Sadi, an angry feminist and the bane of her college years while an old friendship with her former roommate, Leah, devolves around a guy. 

It's 2002 and the Midwest radio scene is changing. Just as Whitney hits her groove, the radio station undergoes its own identity crisis. But what rocks Whitney to her core is the moment the condom breaks. Her abstinence only background leaves her embarrassed and facing a difficult choice.


(Summary taken from Goodreads)

My Review: 

*A copy of the book was provided by the author for an honest review*

"We are free to make our own choices but we are never free from the choices we make" 

Strong Enough is a book about finding new beginnings and finding your true self. One of the things that I loved about the novel was that it was very well written, the titles of each chapter were named after songs (which it made the novel unique and much more interesting). Although it took me some time to really get into the book, as soon as the plot started to get more interesting, I couldn't put it down. Later in the book, I became intrigued with Whitney's life, after going through rough events she was still able to make things better in her life. There were strong topics that definitely stood out to me from the start and I think the author did a good job incorporating all kinds of topics in the plot. Her descriptions were very well written that I felt connected with the characters in the book. Not only is this novel about finding a new beginning, but it's also about friendships, romance, and learning to overcome the past in order to create a new one. Overall, this was a very interesting reading, it was refreshing to read something new. I would recommend this book to everyone, you won't be disappointed.

My Ratings: 


2 comments:

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Oh wow, I really like the premise of this book! I love books where the main character learns to move on and change. :) I'm so adding this to my Goodreads. Thanks for the informative review! :D

Jackie said... Best Blogger Tips

@anaherareads
Thanks for stopping by, and I hope you get to read the book, it's really good. :)

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments, so don't be afraid to leave me a comment below:D